Last-minute/Standby Vaccines May Be Available
In addition to signing up for a fixed reserved appointment, it may now be possible to get a “last minute/standby” vaccine at the end of the day to those who can be immediately available on any given day. As you may have read, this vaccine must be injected within a certain number of hours or be thrown away. Rather than have any vaccine medicine go to waste, if there is any available at the end of the day, it may be possible to connect our eligible Temple members and staff with a vaccine for people who are able to get to the Bethune Center (140/145 MLK Blvd, Jersey City) on the spur of the moment. Our JC leaders want to make sure more medicine gets into people’s bodies and have called upon local clergy to help connect our people to the vaccine as they become available. Five more location pods will open in JC, but this is the only one for now.
If you fall in any of these eligible categories (below) AND are available to get to a last-minute end-of-day vaccine, please fill out this form so I or someone from the Temple can be in touch on a day when a last-minute vaccine is available. We will learn about availability between 2.30 and 3.30pm, so you must be available by text or phone or that vaccine opportunity will move to the next person on the list. You can do this/sign up even if you have already registered with the state and are awaiting your vaccine appointment.
If you have not already registered for the vaccine, I suggest you do so here. Unlike these end-of-the day vaccines described above, this link is for a reserved appointments. Also, any SENIOR CITIZEN who wishes to be vaccinated may contact Senior Affairs at 201-547-5750.
Eligible for the vaccine as of January 14:
Anyone who lives, works or goes to school in New Jersey who is
· Healthcare personnel (volunteer or paid)
· Long-term care residents and staff
· Anyone over the age of 65
· Anyone between the ages of 16-65 with medical conditions, as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, that increase the risk of severe illness from the virus. These conditions include: Cancer, Chronic kidney disease, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), Down Syndrome, Heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies, Obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 30 kg/m2 or higher but < 40 kg/m2), Severe Obesity (BMI ≥ 40 kg/m2), Sickle cell disease, Smoking, Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Individuals who are pregnant and those in an immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from solid organ transplant are also eligible but should follow CDC guidance and first discuss vaccination with their medical provider before receiving the vaccine.
· See the different categories and order here.
The Jersey City Department of Health and Human Services has arranged for a limited number of free Uber rides for those who are not able to get there on your own. Contact the JC HHS directly if you need that. It is also important to know is that you do not need, proof of eligibility, proof of citizenship or money at the vaccine center.